How and when to trim rose hips
Many people think that wild rose is a prickly wild plant that does not bring any benefit. In fact, it has advantages, among which the use of rose hips as a decorative culture plays an important role. In order to achieve the desired result, the plant should be cut on time and form a crown. In more detail about the most important aspects of gentrification of bushes we will consider further in the review.
What is pruning for?
Rosehip shoots grow intensively, as a result of which the crown of the bush is overgrown with thin and non-harvesting branches. In addition, the plant has a strongly developed basal shoot, breaking through from the ground at a distance of up to 1 m from the bush. If cleaning and trimming is not done in a timely manner, then in a few years spiky thickets will grow. Also, you need to trim the branches so that the rosehip receives enough light and develops powerful shoots.
Important! To obtain a high yield of fruits, it is recommended to form bushes during the period of their complete rest.
When to cut a rosehip
You can prune a wild rose already in the 3rd year after planting a seedling. The necessary manipulations should be carried out throughout almost the entire year, namely: in the spring, summer and autumn. It all depends on what goal is pursued in the cultivation of shrubs (as a decoration or to obtain a high yield of fruits).
In the autumn, gardeners advise sanitary pruning. Shaping is not advisable, since it involves shortening or cutting out strong shoots. Over the winter, plant branches can be damaged by frost, wind, or heavy snow. In this case, the plant will be able to recover due to the strong branches preserved since autumn. At this time, it is better to remove dry, crooked, improperly growing, damaged, diseased branches, thin shoots at the bottom of the bushes.
In the spring
Spring pruning is carried out before the buds open, when the bushes are at rest. Here you can do formative pruning and thinning of the crown. It is necessary to cut off the broken, frozen shoots over the winter. Thick branches need to be shortened almost under the ground, leaving stumps with 2-3 buds that will bear fruit the next year.
Did you know? The essential oils that make up wild rose petals can kill bacteria.
In the summer, experts recommend slightly trimming the tops of branches. It consists in the need to shorten the young shoots. At the end of summer, weak and zero shoots should be cut off, because they in vain take away the strength and necessary nutrition from plants.If the dog rose plays the role of decorative culture, then it is possible to carry out the formation of the crown, having reached the planned outlines and shapes.
Decorative cropping and rosehip shaping
To give the rosehip a beautiful appearance, gardeners carry out decorative pruning and the formation of its crown. This procedure can be done in several ways, namely: in the traditional way, in the form of hedges, in the form of a ball, a tree on the stem. Each of them has its own characteristics. Choosing them, you should take into account your own preferences and opportunities.
The traditional way consists of the following steps:
- After planting the seedling, you need to shorten all the shoots, leaving clippings 10-15 cm long and several healthy buds.
- The next 2 years, the bush should grow new stems.
- After the main branches grow to a height of 70–80 cm, they need to be pinched.
- In the 3rd year, cut off all the young shoots that have formed around the bush, and also destroy its base.
- Remove improperly growing branches or interfering with each other.
- For 5-6 years, cut old and lignified stems under the very root.
- Leave young and strong branches.
Video: cropping rose hips
A hedge can be made from rosehip varieties from 2 m high. It is formed as follows:
- Plants need to be planted in 1 row at a distance of 50-60 cm from each other.
- Cut seedlings to 30–40 cm in height.
- For the next year, cut all the stems at a height of 1 m from the ground.
- In subsequent years, cut bushes at the desired height.
- After 2 years, the bushes will grow and form a thick wall.
- Regularly remove dry and damaged shoots.
- Every 5 years, cut off the old stems.
- To form a hedge, you can use trellises with transverse slats, to which to tie the branches of the bush.
The formation of a rosehip bush in the form of a ball
To get a rosehip bush in the form of a ball, you need to do the following manipulations:
- Cut the branches at the same distance from the base of the bush.
- In the first year, cut the shoots into 1/2 or 1/3 of the length.
- In the second and subsequent years, shorten by 2/3 of the length.
- Constantly cut dried, infected and broken shoots.
- Every 5 years, perform anti-aging pruning.
Tree-shaped on a stem
Rosehip in the form of a tree on the stem looks very beautiful during the flowering period and takes up little space on the site. To form it, you need to do the following steps:
- It is necessary to leave the strongest, vertically growing, one-year shoot without any branches.
- Shorten it by 40–70 cm.
- Other branches that emerged from the ground, cut under the root.
- The formed stem should be tied to a vertical support.
- Next year, side shoots will appear on the main trunk. Cut down below.
- From the rest, select the most powerful branches growing in different directions (these will be skeletal), which are unnecessary to remove.
- In the third year, shorten the skeletal shoots by 1/3 so that they are the same length.
- In the fourth year, the plant is covered with fruits located on the tips of the shoots.
- After 5-6 years of fruiting, rosehip should be cut off at ground level.
- From young shoots erupted from the soil, a new tree can again be formed.
How to trim a dogrose with a trimmer
To trim the rosehip bushes, gardeners use special equipment (delimbers, garden shears, a garden saw, etc.), well-sharpened and disinfected. In addition, you can use the trimmer, strictly adhering to special instructions in its operation:
- the trimmer must be equipped with a circuit breaker in case of force majeure situations;
- they can not trim the bushes in wet weather;
- to form a hedge, you need to keep the trimmer blade parallel to its surface so as not to spoil the correct shape;
- no need to make wide movements;
- it is not recommended to raise the trimmer above shoulder level;
- cutting high hedges, you must use a stable stepladder;
- Be sure to do all the manipulations with gloves and goggles.
Mandatory procedure for the formation and good development of rosehip bushes is sanitary pruning. It is as follows:
- all dried and broken branches are removed in the fall;
- also shoots that grow incorrectly or are older than 5 years are cut under the root;
- in summer, shoots are nipped at a height of 70 cm to enhance the growth of side branches;
- old and groomed shrubs are cut to the ground so that new shrubs can form.
Given the ability of a wild rose to recover quickly and take various forms, a variety of decorative masterpieces can be created from this plant. And in addition to the pleasant contemplation of a beautiful appearance, the fruits will also bring great benefits due to the content in themselves of a huge amount of necessary substances.