How to distinguish dried dogwood from a fake
Dried dogwood has a lot of useful properties. Many procure the product on their own, and some prefer to buy it ready-made. How to distinguish a healthy dried fruit from a fake and what is its use will be described later.
How to identify a fake
Unfortunately, unscrupulous distributors give out various fruits and vegetables for cornel fruit. Most often these are dried or dried cherry tomatoes. Therefore, it is important to learn to distinguish a real sweet and sour berry from a fake.
Did you know? Dogwood is very hard. It was used to make buttons and even the hilt of swords.
Many online stores are misleading in offering sweet dogwood tomatoes. This species is really grown in China - the Chinese love all kinds of exotic. And negligent merchants decided to give this vegetable as a healing berry. There is nothing dangerous in these vegetables, except for the lack of a healthy composition and the presence of a high sugar content.In color and shape, dried tomatoes really resemble cornel fruit. But to distinguish vegetables from medicinal berries is easy.
Such characteristics are inherent in a fake:
- A lot of white seeds inside. Dogwood is a stone fruit, and small grains are tomato seeds.
- Lusciously sweet taste. The dried cherry is sweetish, and after them a tomato aftertaste is felt.
- Sugar content. A fake product is made by drying the tomatoes, after soaking them in sweet syrup.
Did you know? Dogwood fruits were known to people of the Neolithic. Its bones were found by archaeologists during excavations and calculated their approximate age - 5 thousand years.
This dogwood has an elongated appearance and a bright red color. After drying, the fruits do not change color. Moisture only leaves them and the berry shrinks, reducing its size by 1/3.
Dried cornel fruit is sweet, specific acidity is absent.Distinctive features of high-quality natural cornel dried fruit:
- A small elongated berry of juicy red color.
- The fruit should be free from dark spots, mold or an unpleasant odor.
Of course, you can dry the fruits yourself. It is only necessary to pick berries away from the carriageway. It is not necessary to pick berries very much, it is enough that the fruits are without signs of rot. But efforts will pay off with a good result.
Important! AT day it is recommended to eat no more than 60–100 g of dried fruit.
What is useful dried dogwood
Dried fruit is very tasty. Great stewed fruit, sauces, jam come out of it, you can just sugar. But cornel dried fruit is valued not only in cooking - it has more than one healing property that has been successfully used in healing.
- Useful qualities are difficult to underestimate, because the berry, both fresh and dried, gives the following positive results:
- normalizes appetite;
- Helps increase hemoglobin levels
- stabilizes metabolic processes;
- saves from heartburn;
- serves as an expectorant;
- calms the nervous system;
- has a diuretic effect;
- has an antibacterial nature;
- tones up;
- has a diaphoretic effect;
- relieves inflammatory processes;
- removes bile.
Calorie dried dogwood
According to nutritionists, the energy value of 100 g of dried berries is 200–209 kcal. Moreover, such a fruit has 1 g of protein and 12 g of carbohydrates.Dried dogwood has several times more protein and carbohydrates than fresh.
In addition, the fruits are rich in such elements:
- organic acids;
- essential oils;
- pectin components;
- vitamins C, PP, A;
Important! There is no fat in either the dried or dried product.
The type of berries prepared by drying is called candied fruit. Its nutritional value looks like this (per 100 g of product):
- calorie content - 200–209 kcal;
- proteins - 0.5-1.5 g;
- carbohydrates - 10-12 g.
Dogwood in folk medicine
In dried form (if the product is not fake), sweet and sour berries are used for the preparation of infusions and decoctions. With their help, you can deal with such problems:
- Poisoning. A sweet, slightly acidic fruit helps release the body from toxic substances. Herbalists believe that the product helps a lot in case of lead poisoning or mercury vapor (used exclusively as an additional tool).
- Colds, scarlet fever, tonsillitis. Dried fruit can be used both for the treatment of these diseases, and for prevention. A large concentration of vitamin C plays a role here, which strengthens the immune system and helps fight inflammation.
- Diabetes. Systematic consumption of berries allows you to normalize sugar.
- Avitaminosis. Vitamin deficiency affects overall well-being. To normalize the vitamin balance, dogwood bone is used, which is rich in vitamins and valuable substances.
- Skin diseases. Berries are used externally for the treatment of dermatological problems.
- Cardiovascular pathology. Dogwood helps to strengthen the vascular septum, normalizes blood pressure, strengthens the vessels of the brain.
- Hemorrhoids. During an exacerbation, the fruits will help stop bleeding, reduce pain, reduce the size of hemorrhoids. Herbalists claim that it’s enough to eat 5-6 berries per day.
Dogs can be given to children starting from a year. Moreover, they remove the skin from the fruits and give no more than one piece per day, gradually increasing the amount to 50 g. Maximum kids, depending on age, are allowed to give such a number of sweet and sour berries:
- 2-3 years - 100-150 g;
- 3-6 years - 150-200 g.
Important! In the evening, dried fruits are undesirable, because they are characterized by a tonic effect.
Fruits should be used cautiously with increased blood pressure, and if you use it as a medicine, you must first consult a doctor.
After all, as you know, self-medication bypassing official medicine can not only not improve, but also worsen the state of health. Like many other medicinal products, dogwood has a list of restrictions.
- So, it is undesirable to use it in such cases:
- individual intolerance;
- increased acidity;
- inflammation of the gastric mucosa;
- pregnancy with the threat of miscarriage;
- sleep disturbance;
- stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer;
- systematic constipation;
- deviations in the functioning of the nervous system.
Did you know? Specially processed and ground dogwood bones can serve as a substitute for coffee.
Dried dogwood is not only attractive, but also very healthy. The main thing is to learn to correctly distinguish it from a fake, and then eating fruits will bring great pleasure and benefit.