Decoction of viburnum: useful properties and contraindications for adults and children
Kalina has long been very popular in folk medicine. Along with drugs, the red fruits of the plant are able to qualitatively eliminate the symptoms of many ailments. And all because the berries of the culture - an inexhaustible storehouse of vitamins and nutrients. The most common medicine from viburnum is a decoction. How to cook viburnum decoction, as well as what is the benefit and harm of red fruits, read on.
Viburnum broth is a true healing elixir for colds and viral diseases, it will quickly and effectively eliminate the symptoms of acute respiratory viral infections, flu, help in the fight against tonsillitis and fever, helps lower blood pressure, and boosts the body's immunization.
You can prepare a decoction both from the fruits and from the bark or flowers of the plant. Each recipe has its own advantages, is designed for specific purposes and has a rich set of useful properties. To prepare a berry viburnum decoction, you will need the following ingredients:
- fruits of viburnum: 2 tbsp. l .;
- boiling water: 2 tbsp.
The cooking procedure is not difficult:
- Kalina must be thoroughly mashed in an enameled container (it is better to take a pot).
- Then you need to pour red fruits with boiling water (use 1 tbsp.).
- Soak the mixture in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove and cool the viburnum mixture.
- Strain the cooked broth and add another glass of water to the liquid.
Drinking such a medicine is recommended at 60 ml, the frequency of admission is 4 times / day.
It is important to use a decoction of viburnum berries as an additional alternative medicine against gastritis, colds, and blood pressure surges. Before taking a viburnum decoction, be sure to consult your doctor and get acquainted with the list of contraindications, which is presented below.
A decoction of viburnum berries can be prepared according to another recipe, for which you should stock up on such ingredients:
- red fruits: 2 tbsp. l .;
- honey: 1 tbsp.
The cooking procedure is as follows:
- Mash the berries well.
- Heat the honey a little over a small fire so that it becomes liquid, like water.
- Mix the components, bring to a boil, and insist in a cool place for 5-6 hours.
Flower viburnum decoction is prepared with the following components:
- shredded dried flowers of culture: 1 tsp;
- boiling water: 1 tbsp.
The cooking procedure is as follows:
- Pour boiling water over the flower mass in an enameled container.
- Soak the mixture in a bath of water for 20 minutes.
- Cool and strain the finished broth.
You can use such a medicine both internally and externally.
So, if you have eczema, dermatitis, ulcers, boils, wounds from cuts or bites on your body, it is advisable to irrigate a sore spot with this decoction, or make dressings and lotions from it. Inside, a floral viburnum decoction is taken in the treatment of gastritis and stomach ulcers, depression, insomnia, and it is also recommended for women who have an irregular menstrual cycle. You need to drink a decoction three times a day for 1 tbsp. lFolk healers recommend collecting viburnum bark, which will be used for medicinal purposes, in late spring, because it is at this time that it concentrates the maximum dose of nutrients in itself. At the same time, the age of the plant should be taken into account: for effective treatment, the bark should be removed only from those shoots that have reached 3 years of age.The main component of the composition of viburnum decoction can be the bark of the plant.
There are two of the most common and effective recipes for preparing a decoction of viburnum bark. The first can be called economical.
To prepare it you will need:
- crushed viburnum bark: 1 tbsp. l (preferably with a slide);
- water: 500 ml.
Preparing such a decoction is quite simple:
- Pour bark with water and put on fire.
- Boil the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and insist 3-4 hours.
According to the second recipe for a decoction from the bark, you must take the following ingredients:
- viburnum bark: 2 tbsp. l .;
- water: 1 tbsp .;
- sea buckthorn oil: 1 tsp;
- honey: 1 tbsp. l
The procedure for preparing the broth:
- Pour boiling water over the bark of the plant and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the indicated amount of sea buckthorn oil and honey.
It is advisable to take a decoction from the bark of the plant to eliminate severe menstrual pains, with large blood loss (since the bark contains substances that contribute to the formation of platelets). Also, such a medicine tones the uterine muscles.
Important! Before adding honey to any broth, make sure that the drink has cooled to 40 ° C. Honey dissolved in a hot broth will not only lose its beneficial properties, but can also become toxic.
Useful properties of viburnum
Guelder-rose belongs to plants that possess a rich set of useful properties for children and adults. The fruits, bark, and flowers of the plant are widely used in both folk and traditional medicine. In pharmacies you can buy water-alcohol extract of viburnum fruits, crushed flowers and plant bark, gelatin capsules with oil of viburnum berries.
Folk healers prepare from the viburnum medicinal decoctions, tinctures, and other products based on the fruits of the culture that are used to treat cardiovascular, respiratory, circulatory, genitourinary, immune and other body systems. Separately, the benefits of viburnum for children and its usefulness for adults are discussed below.
Kalina can be used for children, but, nevertheless, it should be introduced into the child’s diet gradually. Children under 1 year old are not recommended to give viburnum. The initial dose of fruit for a child should not exceed half a teaspoon. Since children do not like sour and bitter red fruits, it is best to give babies viburnum juice, fruit drink or a decoction. Sprinkle fresh berries with sugar or pour honey.
- The benefits of viburnum for a child's body are as follows:
- increase and activation of the body's immune forces;
- relief from constipation;
- treatment of headaches;
- lowering the blood sugar level of the child;
- antipyretic, bactericidal and antiviral effects;
- elimination of cough due to expectorant and tonic properties;
- healing of wounds, treatment of childhood dermatitis and eczema, due to antiseptic properties;
- vitaminization of the child's body.
- The rich vitamin and mineral composition endowed the viburnum berries with inexhaustible beneficial properties for the human body:
- lowering blood pressure;
- qualitative impact on the work of the intestines, stomach and pancreas;
- a calming effect, which makes it an excellent way to deal with stress, depression, nervous disorders and attacks of aggression;
- the ability to activate and increase the body's immune forces;
- a positive effect on blood coagulability, which is especially important for bleeding of a different nature (uterine, postoperative, etc.);
- strengthening blood vessels and their walls;
- the ability to encourage the body and tone it;
- the ability to lower blood sugar: viburnum can be introduced into the diet of diabetics with type 1 and type 2 diabetes;
- the ability to quench menstrual pain in women, as well as overcome the symptoms of menopause. Due to the content of substances acting as natural substitutes for sex hormones, which the body practically does not produce in the menopause phase, it improves the condition of the female body;
- elimination of pain and inflammation of the genitourinary tract;
- effectiveness in the fight against edema.
Kalina is often a component of the complex treatment of heart and liver diseases, it is used to relieve asthma attacks, has a positive effect on the gums, its decoction is used to rinse the mouth with periodontitis, stomatitis, tonsillitis. Alternative medicines from red fruits are recommended for tuberculosis and sclerosis.
Vitamin composition of berries
The healing power of viburnum berries is manifested due to their unique vitamin and mineral composition. 100 g of berries are rich in the following vitamins, micro and macro elements:
|vitamin C||from 80 to 140 mg, which is almost two times the supply of vitamin in the same amount of lemon|
|vitamin b3||500-1400 mg|
|vitamin b9||0.03 mg|
|vitamin a||2.5 mg|
|vitamin K||30 mg|
|vitamin E||2 mg|
The composition of viburnum contains reserves of acetic, butyric, valerianic, formic, linoleic, isovalerianic, palmitic acids, as well as pectins, tarry and tannins. The viburnin contained in the fruits belongs to glycosides, which are responsible for the function of increasing blood coagulation, and volatile plants have the ability to deal with pathogenic viruses and microbes.
Contraindications and harm
Despite such an impressive list of benefits, viburnum fruits, and, accordingly, a decoction of them are contraindicated in specific categories of people, since they can provoke irreparable harm.
- So, it is contraindicated to use a decoction of viburnum, the berries themselves, as well as any means with viburnum:
- hypotonic - fraught with a sharp decrease in pressure;
- pregnant women, since viburnum decoction is able to increase uterine tone, which is a huge danger to the life of both the mother and her unborn child: it can provoke a miscarriage or premature birth;
- nursing mothers: the berries of the plant can cause allergic reactions in the baby;
- suffering from kidney diseases and enuresis, thrombosis and varicose veins, urolithiasis and gout, ulcers and gastritis, as well as increased acidity of the stomach and arthritis;
- people with individual intolerance to viburnum by the body: berries, even in the smallest quantities, can cause harm;
- diabetics should consult their doctor before introducing viburnum into the diet, because the berries contain invert sugar.
You can also effectively treat folk remedies, but at the same time, you should carefully weigh the indicators of benefit and harm, and also take into account all contraindications. As for viburnum, then, of course, the benefits of this berry are invaluable, the main thing is to start treatment rationally.